Thursday, November 02, 2006

Spurs The Chef

As some of you out there know, Spurs is a great chef. I do not have this gift and am lucky to have married a man that can not only cook but cook really well. One thing about Spurs is he likes to experiment and once he makes something he always finds ways to improve it.

The other night we decided to have Tacos. The kind you make from the box and ground beef. I like to have things like this every now and again because it reminds me of my childhood. Spurs does not follow the directions on the box, he decides to make it his own and add special touches. He put onions and garlic and spices into the ground beef while it was browning. He then put freshly grated monterey jack cheese inside the unbaked taco shells and then put a layer of ground beef over that and then another layer of cheese on top of the beef and then baked them. Then they were topped with grated lettuce and freshly cut tomatoes. I swear those were the best tacos I have ever had, even comparing the ones we had in Texas at authentic Mexican restaurants. After telling him over and over again how great they were his mind was already thinking about ways to improve upon them.

Last night we ordered one of those new Brooklyn style pizzas from the delivery place (yes, this week hasn't been our healthiest of eating weeks) and it was really good. Both Spurs and I like the thin crust style pizza with just cheese or maybe cheese and sausage. This morning we had a few slices of pizza left that had the chunky style sausage on top. Spurs decides he is going to make some cheese grits and throw in some of the sausage that was left on the pizza. After seeing him do this I thought it looked pretty gross. As he started to eat it he asked me to try a spoonful. I did not want any of the sausage but I tried just the grits. I swear it tasted just like pizza. I think there might be a market for Pizza Grits. It would be great hangover breakfast food :)

I think Spurs should have a show on Food Network called 'Experimental Chef' where he takes things we eat all the time and adds his special touches to them. I think it would go over great :)