Monday, October 16, 2006

Make The Annoying Calls Stop

Recently I've been getting these calls over and over again on my cell phone like three or four times a day and they never leave a message. I don't answer calls if I don't recognize the number and I figure if they really need to reach me they will leave a voicemail. One is an 866 prefix and one was a Florida number. I decided to Google them today to see if I could find out where the calls were coming from. When you have a home phone you are used to these types of annoying telemarketing calls but over the last several years we haven't had a home phone until recently but I guess they found a way to get cell numbers so they can annoy x 2.

So when I Googled the numbers today I found an interesting website. It's called Who Called Us and it gave me a lot of information in lieu of people leaving messages on their message board reporting that they are getting calls from these same numbers and what happens when they either answer the call or call the number back. It turns out that the 866 number seems to be some sort of Bank of America marketing call and the Florida number was some sort of scam asking you for your bank account number because you have won a prize.

What really annoys me about this is the elderly people that now have cell phones (like my Dad) that will answer calls like these because they think that if they got their cell phone number it must be legit because it's not like they have a Yellow Pages for cell phone numbers and possibly be taken advantage of. Now I just wish I could figure out how to make them stop calling. It's not like cell phones have a Do Not Call list you can subscribe to!!

***UPDATE***

Thank you Tink!! I went to the FTC website and called 1-888-382-1222 from my cell phone and now it's registered on the DNC list for five years!!! Hopefully after 31 days I won't be getting these annoying calls any longer and if I do I am reporting their number on the FTC website.