Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Customer Service With A Smile

As happens from time to time, I was forwarded a call today from a disgruntled customer. I don’t know why I get this dubious honor but what the hell, I have thick skin.

So, I pick up the phone not knowing it’s a disgruntled customer, (Thanks Front Desk Lady) leaving me completely unprepared for the verbal tongue lashing I was about to receive.

This guy was going off, f-this and f-that you sorry mother f-er, you get the point. He never gave me a chance to jump in and try to figure out the problem.

At one point, he calls me an “ass-apple” and for whatever reason this makes me start to giggle. No shit, the harder I try to stop the harder I laugh.
Naturally, this makes the guy madder.
He’s calling me every name in the book and I am dyyyyyiiiing.
Seriously, I was howling at this point. I have one of those big, full on laughs if you can picture it.

He finally stops and demands to know “what’s so fucking funny”?
I tell him that when he called me an ass-apple it cracked me up.
The next thing I know, he’s laughing. Now we’re both laughing. People are starting to gather around my office…..crazy I tell you.

Now that we’ve had a chuckle he’s a little more open to listen and wouldn’t you know it, I was able to solve his issue.

It’s a good thing I don’t take myself too seriously or that ass-apple comment would’ve really got things going down a bad road.
He never did tell me what an ass-apple was exactly….