Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Lite Blogging

Sorry for the lack of blogging lately. I only had Spurs for 48 hours and we were not gonna spend that time on the computer! Plus I was sickly yesterday and spent the whole day in bed watching really bad movies on HBO.

He is off again this week on yet another road trip and I'm preparing for my 1st road trip starting Sunday with my new job. I'm kind of excited because I actually get to see the folks I'm working with. Plus it's in Chicago and I've never been there before.

I'm not looking forward to the air travel. After seeing the problems going on lately with planes going down I'm a bit freaked out. Then of course I have to watch this four hour program on National Geographic last night about 9/11. I hadn't seen this documentary before and it was really informational on all of the background of how it came to happen. Not that I'm a morbid freak or anything, I just didn't know a lot about the history of the terrorists that did it. Plus I think it's always good to keep that in the forefront of our minds so we never get lax on terrorist attacks. So now the FAA is thinking about allowing small knives and scissors again onto the plane. Wha? NO! No weapons of any kind please! These terrorists were not that big. They could have easily been overpowered had they not had box cutters to slit peoples throats.

So then today, I'm eating lunch and watching National Geographic again (I've really gotta stop watching this stuff) and there is a program about an Air Alaska plane that went down in the Pacific before reaching it's L.A. destination. Really scary shit folks. Ugh, those people had a horrible long ride down before it smacked the ocean at about 220 mph. Vertical dive, spinning, flipping tail to nose, etc. It came out that it was the Jack Screw Assembly on the tail portion that determines if your nose is going to be up or down (sorry I can't remember the technical term for it). In this case it was locked in the down position and the pilots had to fight with everything they had to manually keep the nose up for as long as they did. And then the kicker, these assembly's are still used on the DC-9 and the MD80's in service today. Of course they are supposed to be checked daily for any malfunctions but my goodness folks. That doesn't make me feel any better. Not to mention the strike going on right now and the "replacement" workers that have been put in their place. I don't want a disgruntled maintenance worker checking out my plane please nor do I want an inexperienced "replacement" worker!

Anyway, as you can see I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to this stuff. True, most accidents occur on our highways than in the air but now we have multiple airbags, anti-lock breaks, etc. in our cars to hopefully keep us safe in the event of an accident. That little strap across your lap on a plane is not going to help you one bit during a crash! Ugh.

*BONUS* My plane from Dallas to Chicago is an MD-80 and hey, again on the way back Chicago to Dallas is an MD-80! Wahoo! I feel so much better now!