Sunday, August 14, 2005

Mystery Memory Foam

I decided to go buy new sheets today so I thought I would splurge and get some really nice ones. I bought the 500 thread count type and man are they soft. I can't wait to get into bed tonight.

So I'm walking around the store after finding the sheets I wanted and see that they have the memory foam mattress toppers on sale. Hmm, I thought I would try it out. Our mattress is pretty comfy but why not make it more so. So I get my stuff home and put the new sheets in the wash and pull out this memory foam topper from it's packaging. It was curled up in a big ball and vacuum packed in plastic. It wasn't really easy to get that sucker out and unfurled. I had to do the steam roller over it several times to get it flat. But that was fun for me!

So I have it laid out on top of the mattress and start to notice this unusual smell coming from it. It smelled like a combination of gasoline and ammonia. Very noxious. So I read the little sheet that was stuck inside of the packaging and it stated that "you might notice an unusual smell, it will go away within 48 hours". Hmmm. So I start thinking, what is this crap made of? Some space age material that they came up with after mixing many chemicals together? Am I going to wind up with some unusual disease after sleeping on this for a while?

It also states that it's highly flammable. Hmmm. Now I'm starting to worry. Not that we have any type of flame that would come near our mattress but what about static electricity? If I flip over in bed and create a shock of static electricity will I blow up?

Now if Spurs were here he wouldn't let me put the stinky foam topper on until the smell went away. But I'm the type of person that when I buy something I want to use it right away. It did come with a cover to put over it and then there will be clean sheets over that so I'm hoping I won't be able to smell the nasty fumes.

How much you wanna bet I'm gonna crawl into bed tonight and after about 10 minutes rip that sucker off of the bed because of the smell.

*UPDATE*
Man, the mystery memory foam ROCKS! It was so comfortable and I did not want to get out of bed this morning.

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I hope to get something like that for our bed one day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|