Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lack of Communication

Well we are preparing for our move and during this process I have noticed that there has been a lack of communication, or shall I say a lack of listening. So when does the communication breakdown happen in a marriage? We have only been married for a year and two months and now it happens, while we are planning our move???

So, Spurs was having issues with contacting the new cable company to order our digital cable and modem service for our new place. I offered to contact them and waited on the phone on hold for a while and then finally got a hold of someone. Mind you I did this 30 minutes before my hair appointment so I thought I would have plenty of time to get through it. Spurs was busy with work (working from home) and had an upcoming conference call so I decided to tough it out on hold. Once I got in touch with someone (finally) I ordered our cable and modem and it took a while because he put me on hold every two minutes. Spurs was coming in and out of the room during this process and while on hold I expressed my concern as I had to get to my hair appointment (this is my last chance to get blond again before moving back) so he understood my frustration.

Alas I finally get through it with no time to spare and run out the door for my appointment. Later that evening I let him know what I had ordered and the date they were showing up to hook us up and even let him know that we needed a money order for the installation person as they will not accept out of state checks. So we had a whole conversation about this event, right??!?!?!?!?

Today he comes out of the office (me thinking he was on a conference call and waiting for him to get finished so I could start working out as our workout equipment is in the office) and says "Guess what, I finally got through online to order our cable and modem service but they can't show up until the 7th which is two days after we move in." WHA??? I promptly reminded him of our conversation two days ago where I stayed on the phone and ordered our service and got someone to come out the next day after we arrive to install our service. He says "Oh, I guess I wasn't really listening or I forgot." WHA???

So therefore I guess where it concerns Spurs and I it takes approximately one year and two months before the husband stops listening to what the wife is saying. Sad...Very Sad....

Update -
In my defense, it's not that I didn't hear, it's that I didn't store it in my short term memory. There's a lot going on right now both personally and professionally so I may have missed it. But hey, at least we know that the cable guys are coming...