Monday, July 25, 2005

Am I A Grumpy Bastard

I think I'm going to get flamed for this but I've got to get it off my chest.

Work is very hectic right now. I have deadlines, meetings, traveling, reports, blah blah blah.
When I leave for lunch, it's my time and I really enjoy it. I like to go someplace nice, read the paper and recharge for the second act of my day.

I went to one of my favorite places today anticipating the delightful Carne Asada that is prepared on Mondays.
The hostess sat me next to a table of 3 women and 8 children ranging in age from infant to about 4 or 5 I guess.
Great.

Now I realize that as parent, you don't always want to eat at McDonalds or Chuck E Cheese. But if you're going to take the kids out to eat at a place that does not have a playground you should be sure that they will behave. Not these kids...

The bigger kids were running around my table playing freeze tag, while the younger ones were throwing crayons and screaming like hell. Occasionally, a mom or guardian or whatever would grab a kid and tell them to be quiet while administering a smack to various parts of the body. Which, as you know, will cause the offending child to start crying.
Just Perfect.

Well, before my salad arrived I asked my waitress if it would be possible to move. She said sure and I got up to move to the other side of the building. While doing this, the head dipstick at the children's table looked at me and said, "What's your problem, don't you like kids"?
(You've got to be shitting me, I'm thinking.)
In my most calm voice(and this was tough, ask Napster) I said, 'No ma'am, I like kids as a rule. But your little pack of hellions is driving me crazy".
You would have thought that I farted at their table. Their eyes were rolling and you could hear teeth sucking and just general disbelief that their precious little brood could cause such a problem. Upon further reflection, I should have farted at their table...

By this time, even in a new section, I couldn't enjoy my lunch. Little fuckers...no that's not right. I think I blame the adults more than the kids. Big fuckers...

Just for the record, when I left the restaurant there were no other customers in that section.

Does this make me a cruel intolerant person??
Should they have a kids section like they have smoking sections??
I don't think I should have to feel bad for wanting a nice, quiet lunch.
If I have lunch in a Fast Food joint or, for arguments sake, the circus I accept the atmosphere. It's part of the deal, I get it. But if I'm in a place with actual cloth napkins, I really don't want to hear screaming kids.


Can't think straight right now, I'm pissed.