Monday, June 13, 2005

Great Americans

I don't watch a lot of T.V. but the Discovery Channel is a favorite when I do.
They are running an interesting contest called The Greatest American.
Athletes, Business Leaders, Celebrities, Cause Champions, Icons, Musicians and Political Figures all voted on by the viewing audience.

I wrote down a list to compare against the top 25 from the show and I only matched 8(bold below). Maybe I'm out of tune with what it takes to be a "Great American". But I guess that would be subjective huh?
Here's the Discovery top 25 in no particular order:

Muhammed Ali
Lance Armstrong
Neil Armstrong
George W. Bush
Bill Clinton
Walt Disney
Thomas Alva Edison
Albert Einstein
Henry Ford
Benjamin Franklin
Bill Gates
Billy Graham
Bob Hope
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
Martin Luther King Jr.
Abraham Lincoln
Rosa Parks
Elvis Pressley
Ronald Reagan
Eleanor Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
George Washington
Oprah Winfrey
The Wright Brothers

Would any of these people have made your top 25?