Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Chicks and sports...

Michelle Wie became the first female player to qualify for an adult male U.S. Golf Association championship Tuesday, tying for first place in a 36-hole U.S. Amateur Public Links sectional qualifying tournament.
The winner of this tournament is traditionally invited to the Masters. I bet Hootie Johnson will have something to say about that.....I can hear Martha Burke warming up her van...

I am for the most part, traditionalistic when it comes to sports. I love the history of sports with all the legends and folklore. I believed that the Red Sox were cursed by the Bambino. I know that Franco caught that pass, even though you can't see it. I just knew Steve Bartman was doing his part to keep the Curse of the Cubs intact. And yes, I believed he could fly.

However, when it comes to women competing with men, I guess I'm a Liberal...Guilty as charged.
For the most part, woman can compete with, and beat men in a variety of sports. I've taken a beating or two from Napster at the local bowling alley and once dated a 5th degree black belt who could seriously kick ass. Not mine....but I'm just sayin'...
I don't think however, that women can compete with men in all types of sports. Men are just too physically strong. Football comes to mind...But you know what, if a woman wants to buckle up her chin strap and punch her dance ticket with a middle linebacker then so be it. Knock yourself out sweetheart.

Anyway, I hope Michelle performs well and gives Hootie a little to sweat about.