Friday, June 03, 2005

Childhood Meme Part Deux

I know we're only supposed to list 5 things we miss from our childhood but I have to add one more.

Christmas Mornings- Mom and Dad always made Christmas fun. I knew about "Santa" by the time I was 8 but even so, it was incredible. My brother and I would leave cookies out for Santa and in the morning you could see where he had taken a bite. Usually there would be a note from the big man himself. We had decorations out the wazoo and Mom would make cakes and cookies for family and friends. The house always smelled so good...

My dad had a rule that we(little bro and I) couldn't wake anyone up until 6:00 AM. For me, this was no problem. But for my little brother, this was sheer torture.
I remember one year, I guess I was about 10 and J was 7, and for some reason I woke up early. I looked at the clock and it was before the 6:00 AM start time. So I started to roll over and go back to sleep when I saw a light coming down the hallway. Wha?? A couple of minutes go by and I see my little brother crawling down the hallway with a flashlight. I whispered*psst*, what are you doing? My little brother looks over into my room, holds the flashlight under his chin and just as serious as a preacher says, "I'm just checking things out. You haven't been that good this year. Go back to sleep." Still cracks me up...